Prospective contributors would be well-advised to consult our earlier publications at http://www.outofnothing.org as a guide to the type of work we're interested in: to supplement this understanding and ideally stimulate your thinking about a new piece made particularly to address the issues that consume, or rather, are consumed by us, we offer the following potential topics:
- the vacuum
- salvage / remainders
- imaginary spaces possessed of imaginary dimensions
- darkness / lightlessness
- reduced or infinitesimal means
- the exponential
- self-abnegating symbols
- the blank
- the inconsequential
- the contentless / general contentlessness
- the generic and / or undifferentiated and / or the contra-original
- adhesive agents in search of clients to bind
- none of the above or below
A Few Things You Might Care To Know Before Submitting
- Unfortunately, we cannot at this time offer any monetary compensation for accepted work.
- We acquire serial rights in North America and only consider previously unpublished work (online or print). We ask that you credit [out of nothing] as the first place of publication.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay but we kindly request immediate notification if the piece is picked up by another publisher.
- We'd also like to be able republish pieces in future print anthologies, issues, etc., based on the writer/artists's consent, and under terms to be negotiated.
- We fully support Creative Commons licensing for any or all of the work we publish. Should you wish to include a CC licensing agreement with your piece / pieces, please provide the desired terms. We can then work together to ensure proper registration of your work.
- There is no word limit on submissions. We accept all standard file formats but we prefer compressed files (mpeg, jpeg, etc) for initial evaluation. We will ask for originals/high resolution files upon acceptance. (No .docx files please. We're still in the MS Office Stone Age.) Submitters should bear in mind that ours is a web publication and that issues of storage and bandwidth always apply. We will verify all formatting, etc. upon acceptance.
- We are international, just like pancakes, and accept submissions from all parts of the world. Works in translation are also accepted.
- We accept electronic submissions only. Please send your work to us at: shelling dot peanuts at gmail dot com.
- We prefer submissions in the form of email attachments. Please include your name (first and last) in the file name of the attachment in your message. Please include multiple submissions in a single file with a cover page detailing the contents of your submission.
- When submitting, please include the following information, in the following format, in your subject heading: [Lastname.Nothing].
- Submissions may be accompanied by a 50-100 biographical note, either attached or pasted in the body of your message.
- All submissions will all be reviewed by at least 3 readers.
- Please allow 3 - 6 months response time.
Eds., [out of nothing]
NOTE: We are currently at work on our first print issue, #0: "theoretical perspectives on the substance preceding [nothing]," expected to be available winter of 2010/2011.
Though we accept submissions year-round, please note that with our current project load, submissions will not be considered until mid-2011 for issue #5.